Key Populations Programme "Bridging the Gaps" is looking for an communications specialist
September 3, 2013
Sex workers, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people and people who use
drugs are typically 10 to 20 times more likely to become infected by HIV while
only 8% have access to HIV services. The denial of human rights has a
negative impact on their health.
Through Bridging the Gaps we want to increase access to HIV prevention, treatment, care and support and ensure full human rights for these key populations who are most affected by HIV but least supported. Bridging the Gaps is an alliance of 5 Dutch NGOs (Aids Fonds, AFEW, COC, GNP+ and Mainline), 4 global key population networks and more than 70 grassroots organisations bringing together a wealth of international expertise on key populations.The programme runs until December 2015.
Aids Fonds is the lead agency for this programme and will host the Communication Specialist, whose main focus will be on the target groups professionals, policymakers and politicians working in the field of HIV/AIDS and international development.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Implementing the communication strategy, in close cooperation with the 5 alliance partners
- Developing and maintaining creative concepts, communication materials, website and social media
- Translating results and lessons learnt of the programme into inspiring and accessible communications
- Demonstrating the programme’s positive impact on key populations
- Seizing opportunities to increase visibility of the programme, including reaching out to international and Dutch media
- Advising the various stakeholders within the programme on how they can improve the impact of their activities with the help of communications.
Your salary will be between €2357 and €3812 gross per month (for 36 hours). You will be offered a fixed term contract of 1 year, after which the contract can be extended for 2 years depending on your performance.
Requirements and competencies
- Degree in communications and at least 5 years of experience in an all-round communication position
- Strategic & practical communication and advocacy skills
- Strong intercultural communication skills and proven international working experience
- Excellent Dutch and English language skills; ability to translate complex information into clear messages and storytelling
- Tact, diplomatic skills, political sensitivity and ability to communicate strategically around sensitive issues
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise work and work well with tight deadlines
- Thorough knowledge of processes involved in the planning and production of publications and electronic materials (print, audio-visual and online)
- Sound knowledge of international health issues, including HIV/AIDS and key populations
- Pro-active, persuasive and thorough going
Please visit: hivgaps.org. If you have question about the position, you can contact Esther van der Zweep, programme manager communications, +31(0)20 6262669, email@example.com or Christian Gladel, programme manager Bridging the Gaps, +31(0)633318018, firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply?
Please send a motivation letter and CV in English to Jan de Vries, Personnel Officer (Keizersgracht 392, 1016 GB Amsterdam) or email,email@example.com. Please respond no later than September 18th. There will be two rounds of interviews and an employment contract negotiation . The first interview is scheduled to take place on September 23rd , with the second round of interviews scheduled for September 27th. The employment contract negotiation is scheduled for September 30th.